- Always us a clean mop head designed for applying floor finishes and mark the mop handle appropriately so that this mop is not used for any other purpose.
- Soak mop head in warm water and wring out thoroughly. Water shall fill mop fibers, thus saving finish.
- Put a plastic garbage can liner in your mop bucket to assure that your finish shall not become contaminated from previous chemicals, which may have been used in the mop bucket. This shall assist in faster cleanup later.
- Dip mop in the bucket of finish and tamp the mop head lightly in the wringer. You want the mop to be full of finish but never dripping. A gentle twisting of the mop handle will also cause excess finish to be removed.
- Start applying the finish in a corner of the area furthest from your exit point and begin by outlining along baseboards. When doing larger areas where the finish may have an opportunity to dry before you can return for a parallel run, seek to establish an outline that will be consistent with the floor tiles.
- Fill in the area between the outlined edges, applying finish with a smooth overlapping stroke. We recommend that all finishes be applied in medium to thin coatings. Re-wet the mop with finish as necessary and make sure that the finish is being applied evenly.
- Continue applying finish, covering each area before the adjoining area is dry. A smooth and even application will assure that all the pores in the floor are properly filled for lasting protection.
- After the first coat has dried (normally 15 to 25 minutes, but this shall depend heavily on the humidity and air flow) apply a second coat in the opposite direction, following procedure outline above.
- Subsequent coatings should be applied as above. Be sure to allow proper drying time between coats. If multiple coats are to be applied at one time, the first two coats should be applied 6 to 8 inches away from walls, partition, display cases, etc. Successive coats are the applied to the entire floor.
CLICK HERE TO REQUEST YOUR FREE NO OBLIGATION FLOOR SEALING/FINISHING ESTIMATE